Seven Things To Do TODAY
- Turn the thermostat on your water heater down to 60 C
- Install a compact fluorescent light in a high-use area of your home. You can buy one at your local supermarket.
- Set up your own compost bin. A well-designed bin will turn your kitchen waste into great fertiliser for the garden and reduce the amount of waste you put out each week.
Cost: Build your own for free, or buy one from your local hardware store for $40-60
- Take part in your local kerbside recycling programme, or find out where your local council recycling centre is, and start putting your newspapers, cans and glass aside for a monthly trip to the recycling station.
- Put a ‘No Junk Mail’ sticker on your letter box.
- Request a list of notified weed species from your local Regional Council or the Department of Conservation. You might be surprised what you find in your garden.
- Join an environmental organisation. They can lobby on your behalf.
Cost: Annual membership of the Ecologic Foundation is $45.00 a year
For more ideas, visit www.sustainableliving.org.nz and/or www.sustainability.govt.nz.